Spotify is one of the world’s most popular audio streaming platforms with over 356 million users in 178 markets. So if you are planning to start a podcast or have already created one, you should get your podcast on Spotify to reach millions of people around the world and expand your audience. However, downloading podcasts to streaming platforms like Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, SoundCloud, and Gaana is different from posting videos to YouTube.
Spotify doesn’t host podcasts, which means you can’t directly upload your podcasts to the app. You need to submit your podcast to a hosting platform that will help you broadcast your show on Spotify and other listening platforms. The hosting platform acts as a base camp for your podcasts. It provides tools to record, edit, save and submit your podcast to Spotify.
You need to create your art podcast, upload your first episode, and publish your podcast on a hosting platform. Your hosting platform will then ensure that your future episodes are automatically uploaded to Spotify and other listening platforms.
Choose a hosting platform
There are a ton of hosting platforms you can use, but not all of them distribute directly to Spotify. Thus, before choosing a hosting platform, you must check the list of listening platforms that it supports and read all the tools that it makes available.
Some of our top recommendations are Anchor, Buzzsprout, Podbean, Simplecast, and Acast. All of these hosting platforms are great for beginners and allow you to upload your podcast directly to Spotify. Let’s take a look at Anchor.
Upload a podcast to Spotify using Anchor
- Download the Anchor app to your phone or visit www.anchor.fm.
- Set up your account and upload your first podcast episode.
- Add a title, description and upload your channel artwork.
- When finished, press Publish now. You will now need to enter the name of your Podcast and describe what it is. Moreover, fill in all the details and then finally press Publish my podcast.
- You can then check the status of the distribution the next day. And, once your podcast is approved, it will take a few hours or a day to be visible on Spotify and other supported platforms.
- Now, every time you upload a new episode to your hosting platform, it will automatically upload to Spotify within 10 minutes.
If you have chosen a hosting platform that does not distribute podcasts directly to Spotify, you need to take an extra step after uploading your podcast to your hosting platform to get your podcast on Spotify.
- Go to your hosting platform and copy the link from the RSS feed.
- Head toward https://podcasters.spotify.com/.
- Create your account and head to three dots in the upper left corner and press Add or claim your podcast > To start.
- Now paste the link of the RSS feed you copied from your hosting platform and press following.
- Spotify will send a verification code to your email id to verify your identity. Enter OTP, fill in the details like category, language and country and press following.
- Now submit your podcast to Spotify, and you’re good to go. Your podcast will be available to listen to on Spotify within a day or a few hours.
Let us know in the comments section below if this has been helpful to you.